If you love chocolate covered strawberries (and who doesn't) this Chocolate Strawberry Pie is for you. Gorgeous looking and delicious, it's a snap to make.
Any pie shell will do, homemade, frozen or roll out from the grocery store. For the best and easiest crust to make see my American Pie Crust Tutorial. However, I don't suggst a graham cracker crust as the flavor is too strong for the filling.
The bottom of the baked shell is covered with chocolate ganache to keep it from getting soggy in case the strawberries juice a bit.
The tops of the strawberries are cut flat to sit well in the crust. After packing the crust with the upside down strawberries, the ganache is simply spooned over them encapsulating the strawberries completely. I told you it was easy.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- How could you not? Strawberries and Chocolate?
- It is sooooo quick and easy to make.
- A great dessert to make with children or grandchildren.
- The few ingredients are easy to get and strawberries are in season now.
- For such a few ingredients, it's gorgeous looking, delicious, and a snap to make.
- July 4th is around the corner!
CLOCKWISE: Cut Strawberries, baked pie crust, semisweet chocolate, corn syrup, almond extract, unsalted butter.
The strawberries are cut and ready to go.
A home made pie crust or a purchased one can be used.
The chocolate is my fav - Callebaut #811 semisweet callets. Although these look like chocolate chips, they are not. They are in this form to make melting fast and easy. Use this or Guittard, Ghiradelli or a fine chocolate for the best taste.
Almond extract just deepens the flavor of the tart. This is optional but encouraged.
Corn syrup adds shine to the ganache.
Be sure to see the recipe card below for the full ingredients list & instructions!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Blind bake the pie crust and cool it completely.
Step 2. Cut the tops off the strawberries. If they vary in size, cut a bit more off the tops to get them as equal as possible.
Step 3. Place the butter and chocolate in a heatproof or microwave safe bowl.
Step 4. Microwave it at half power for a couple of minutes or place it over simmering water until the chocolate and butter are melted.
Step 5. Add the almond extract if using and gently whisk the chocolate and butter until completely combined.
Step 6. Spread a thin layer of ganache on the bottom of the crust to keep it crisp in case the strawberries exude any juice. Refrigerate briefly to set the chocolate.
Step 7. Rim the inside edge of the crust with strawberries most equal in size.
Step 8. Continue filling the shell in toward the center using the smaller ones in the center.
Step 9. Spoon the ganache over the strawberries. If it is too thick, heat it briefly but don't let it get too hot.
Step 10. Cover the strawberries completely with the ganache. Refrigerate to set.
Step 11. If a little chocolate has dripped onto the crust, simply remove it with the point of a knife after it has been refrigerated.
Step 12. The finished pie - as easy as it gets.
Yes, as long as it is not a graham cracker crust. A Pâte Brisée or a pâte sucrée are fine. Bear in mind, these are tart shells and not as deep as an American pie crust.
No, they will be soft and way to juicy. Only use fresh strawberries
Sure, raspberries would be great or a mixed berry pie - as long as the fruit is fresh.
The tart can be made the day ahead and refrigerated. However, it should be brought out about an hour ahead of serving so the ganache can soften. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- If using a bar of chocolate, be sure to cut it into small pieces so it can melt better.
- When buying the strawberries, try to get them the same size as much as possible for a better looking pie.
- If using the American Pie Crust, it can be made ahead and stored in the freezer unbaked. Bake when needed.
Other Scrumptious Pies to Tempt You
If you love this Chocolate Strawberry Pie or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating in the recipe card and let me know how it went the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Chocolate Strawberry Pie
Chocolate Strawberry Pie
- 1 9” single pie shell, fully baked
- 1 Quart Fresh Strawberries
Chocolate Almond Ganache
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate (225 grams)
- 10 tablespoons butter (150 grams or 5 ⅓ ounces)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon almond extract, optional
- Cut the tops off the strawberries, so they are flat. If the strawberries are assorted sizes (as they usually are), cut the tops off deeper, so they will all be about the same height in the shell. This should be within reason. The smaller ones can go toward the center. Set aside.
Chocolate Almond Ganache
- Place all the ingredients in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir until melted. Alternately, place all the ingredients in a microwave bowl and microwave on half power for about 3 minutes. Whisk gently until smooth. Don't be too aggressive, as you don't want air bubbles in the finished ganache. It may need additional time depending upon the power of the microwave. Give it short bursts at half power at this point.
- Spread a thin layer of the chocolate ganache on the bottom of the shell. Refrigerate while preparing the strawberries. Keep the remaining glaze at room temperature.
- Line the pie shell with the strawberries, so they are touching starting at the outer edge of the crust with the largest berries and move in to the center. Spoon the chocolate over the strawberries. Refrigerate to set up.
- If you have dripped chocolate on the shell, simply take a paring knife and very carefully scrape it off after the pie has been chilled, removing chocolate drips.
- And there you have it - a perfect Chocolate Strawberry Pie!
- Bring to room temperature to serve but store in the refrigerator.
<!-- /wp:wp-recipe-maker/recipe -->