Becoming a better baker depends upon understanding the ingredients that go into baking. On my blog, I have a Baking Information tab on the navigation bar that has loads of information to help you become that better baker.
Each of these posts goes into in-depth discussions of its particular topic to help you understand their importance.
There are many more topics in the Baking Information section and I will be featuring some of them in later blogs. In the meantime, I hope some of these will interest you and help you become that better baker.
- All Salt is Not Created Equal When Baking– some salts are saltier than others, where to use which and why.
- Baking Powder vs. Baking Soda, Where and When to Use Which– these two can be confusing. This post tells you the difference between them.
- Cocoa Fundamentals Natural vs. Dutched– learn the difference between natural, Dutch and black cocoa powders.
- Flavorings as Used in Baking and Pastry– there are a surprising number of ways to flavor baked goods besides extracts. This article discusses them.
- Flour As Used in Baking– using the correct flour makes all the difference to your baked goods.
- Thickeners As Used in Baking and Pastry– there are a number of thickeners available. Some are stronger, some are clear.
- Understanding Gelatin– A discussion of powdered and leaf or sheet gelatin
- Vanilla– why I use pure vanilla for only a few things and what I use instead when I use vanilla extract.
- The Frustrating Facts about Measuring Flour– Correctly measuring flour is crucial to the outcome of a recipe
- The World of Cinnamon– Learn about the different types and strengths of cinnamon.